Translate

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mini Blog Challenge - Day 3 (My Passion....)

I am passionate about healthy eating. I believe that eating well can prevent so many health problems. Too often, I hear people complain about so many ailments that can be improved or eliminated just by making dietary changes. Approximately 20 years ago, I was carrying around a bag of medicine that I had to take daily. I had migraine headache medicine( preventative pills and pills for pain), acid reflux medicine( 3 different pills), asthma medicine, and acne medicine. One day, I decided that "enough was enough". I felt that I was way too young (back then, I was still in my 20s) to be dependent upon all of that medicine. Determined to improve my health, I researched holistic ways to feel better. One of the first things that I learned was that there is a direct correlation between "eating right" and health.
 
During that time, I didn't know much about the connection between eating right and feeling better, but I did notice that certain foods were real acid reflux triggers. So, I drastically decreased the amount of fried and spicy foods in my diet, and I increased my water consumption. During that time, I stopped buying so much junk food. My thoughts were, "if it's not here, then I can't eat it." Within a few weeks, I started to feel better. I was experiencing very little reflux, and the migraines were occurring less frequently. Within a couple of months, I no longer needed the migraine and acid reflux medicine. ( My acne did not improve until I started eating more plant-based foods). I really felt good about the changes, and I wanted to share them with others. However, I quickly learned that so many people would rather take medicine than to alter their diet. I also learned that so many overindulge in the wrong foods and they are comfortable with it. Our church often does corporate fasts, and there are so many people who refuse to participate - not because of health reasons, but because of lack of discipline.
 
I am a firm believer that God wants us well, but I believe that we must be active participants. And, we do so by controlling that which we can control - diet and exercise. By no means, do I eat perfectly. I am a work in progress, and I have come a long way!

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm a work in progress as well but taking baby steps much like the ones you've mentioned here. I have a thing for chicken wings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how to enjoy some wings from time to time! Moderation is the key.

      Delete
  2. This is an absolutely on point post. You should just like my mother, which, in this case, is a great thing. My mother has been an advocate for healthy eating and while, she passed those things onto me, we don't often hear what our bodies are saying until the problem escalates to a point where you NEED to address what ails you.

    Thank you for posting this and for sharing this information so freely on your blog. I have enjoyed seeing the number of meals you post. Not only do they look good, I hope they are helpful to all those who visit.

    If we are all honest, we are all works in progress.

    I love your blog, too. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jazzwife! It means a lot to have you stop by for a visit. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the posts.

      Delete

I appreciate your visits. I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Be blessed!