Translate

Monday, September 23, 2013

Meatless Monday #28

Chickpea Burgers

After watching several YT videos, I decided to try making my own chickpea burgers.  Well, my first batch was a flop.  I did not add oatmeal or ground flax, and they stuck terribly to the frying pan. (I didn't think that those two ingredients would make a difference.  Boy, was I ever so wrong?  They looked so pitiful that I didn't bother to take a picture of them.) Anyway, my second batch was almost PERFECT! 

To make these, I chopped a half cup of celery and 1 clove of garlic.  Then, I rinsed and drained a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans).  I blended the celery, garlic and chickpeas with a tablespoonful of Bragg's Amino and 1 teaspoonful of  olive oil.  (If you decide to give this recipe a try, season to taste.  The Bragg's along with the celery and garlic were enough seasoning for me.)

I poured this mixture into a bowl and mixed in about a tablespoonful of ground flaxseed and a half cup of oatmeal.  Then, I preheated some olive oil in a frying pan.

 
While the olive oil was heating, I formed the mixture into patties.  Then, I placed them into the frying pan and allowed them to cook until brown on one side before flipping them over to brown on the other side.

 
I enjoyed my burger between two slices of whole wheat bread with several slices of tomato, ketchup and mustard.  Delicious!

 
Some of the health benefits of consuming chickpeas are as follows:
digestive tract support
unique supply of antioxidants
decreased cardiovascular risks
better regulation of blood sugar
increased chances for satiety and reduced caloric intake
To see a detailed explanation of the above health benefits, go to The World's Healthiest Foods.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Wonderful health benefits indeed Trinity Grace. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Bless you, sweet sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you can call this a "burger" :) What a great way to introduce garbanzo beans into your diet, though! I don't think I ever eat them in anything but salads. Having them cooked sounds like a great way to change things up! Thanks for linking to Let's Get Real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha !Ha! It is a great way to get garbanzo beans into the diet. I once put them in a vegetable lasagna. But, I didn't really like it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I've never thought about making chick pea burgers. What a great idea. I'm not sure if I could get my kids to eat them, but I think I may have a new favorite here. I love the health benefits of chick peas so hummus is a staple in my house, but now I have something new to try. Thanks for sharing this recipe and its health benefits with all of our Let's Get Real readers. I bet I can get my daughter to try it at least. If not, I bet these would freeze pretty good and I would be set for a while for lunch. You've got my brain working again, my friend. Be well! Talk to you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were delicious! And, they taste great as leftovers. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

I appreciate your visits. I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Be blessed!