Translate

Monday, July 29, 2013

Meatless Monday #21

Vegetable Fried Rice
 
 
Prepare the rice ahead of time.  Although it is hard to tell from the picture, this is brown rice.  Freshly cooked rice tends to get too sticky.  The rice needs to be somewhat stiff when cooking fried rice.  However, if time does not permit, parboiled rice can be used instead.  Note:  Parboiled rice is more processed, and should be avoided if you are trying to eliminate or minimize processed foods.  I do keep a bag in the pantry for those times when time is a factor.
 
 
Stir fry vegetables in an oil of your choice.  I used coconut and sesame oil.  I used frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, green and red peppers, carrots, zucchini, onions and squash).  In the past, I have used all fresh vegetables.  However, I made this meal on a day when it was time to go grocery shopping, and my vegetable tray was almost empty!  I did have just a little bit of fresh kale which I did add to the mix.  Note:When you are trying to include more plant based foods into your diet, it is very important to make every effort to eat all of the produce that you buy on a weekly basis. 
 
 
This picture shows the frozen mix with the fresh kale.  I used soy sauce (I was out of Bragg's Liquid Amino- a natural soy sauce alternative), garlic powder, a pinch of ginger and dill weed to season. 
 
 
Finally, the rice was added to the vegetables and cooked on high for about 5 minutes.
 


Bon Appétit!

16 comments:

  1. Hi, need to try this one on my daughter. She loves fried rice and needs to eat more vegetables.

    I enjoy reading your recipes. Hope you have time to hop by and visit today.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daughter likes it. It is great for those times when you don't want to spend all day in the kitchen. Thanks for stopping by, and I will stop by!

      Delete
  2. This is PERFECT Trinity!! I find it sooo hard to decide what to cook on Mondays. Thanks for this great suggestion...it looks delicious AND easy! ;-) Have a wonderful week my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it. If you do, let me know. It is pretty easy to put together, and it is quick! You have a wonderful week ,also.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I've never made this before and I look forward to giving it a try soon.

    Have a blessed week!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn, and have a blessed week as well. I do hope you get to try it out soon. If you do, please share any tips that you find helpful!

      Delete
  4. looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was delish! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trinity. I've been hearing about Bragg's Liquid Amino, but have not tried it yet. Do you buy it at the grocery store or is it a specialty item? Do you find it has the same flavor as soy sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if Bragg's can be found at regular grocery stores. I usually purchase my Bragg's from Earthfare or a specialty health store. I will definitely check the next time I go shopping.

      The flavor is not exactly the same as soy sauce, but it is VERY similar. I like to also use it on salads.

      Delete
  7. I love fried rice, thanks for sharing this recipe. Visiting and new follower from Mommy Blogger Hop. Hope you will stop by for Small Victories Sunday and share your small victories with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be glad to! Thanks for following and visiting. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  8. I have had fried rice but I have never had vegetable fried rice. This looks delicious and I like how colourful it looks. Thanks for sharing this wonderful dish on Creative Monday and have a great week Victory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! The wonderful thing about the beautiful colors is that the cook gets to decide just how many beautiful, brightly colored vegetables to add.

      Delete
  9. Awesome! What a great recipe. I'm definitely pinning this recipe to our Mommy Monday Pinterest Board. YUM. I love love love friend rice.

    Thank you for sharing and for linking up with us at Mommy Monday! I hope you have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANKS, Lisa! I look forward to linking up again, and you have an amazing weekend with your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visits. I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Be blessed!