Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Doing You Well Wednesday #4 - Don't Be SNIOP(ed)!

Don't Be SNIOP(ed)!

When I was in college, I remember an instructor teaching that we should not wear our emotions on our shoulder. She used an acronym -SNIOP (Sensitive to the Negative Influences of Other People). Although my instructor did not coin this phrase, she often talked about it. From time to time, I think about how so many of us are far too sensitive to negative energy ,influences, and vibes from other people. We allow this sensitivity to negatively alter our attitudes and to sometimes pressure us into making choices we may not be comfortable with. Very few of us intend to do this - it just happens. The following are common examples of being SNIOP(ed).

1. We allow the attitudes of others to alter our mood.

2. A misinterpreted look from someone could be perceived as rejection.

3. A group of people talking may be misread as anything from a ploy to get us fired to a plan to physically harm us. 

When we don't take our thoughts captive, the mind plays dirty tricks on us. From time to time, we have all probably fallen victim to being SNIOP(ed). Therefore, we must make a conscious effort to not be SNIOP(ed). So, today, I challenge you to take your thoughts captive and do as the Apostle Paul said in 2 Corinthians 10:5 - bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

4 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to remember SNIOP! {love that!} As a counselor, I'm always trying to help women {and myself} to own their emotions and not allow others to have power over them. The first challenge is to recognize and become aware of every thought {not an easy task} and then begin to take those thoughts captive and subject them to the word of Christ. Thanks so much for sharing this... great post!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so true, so true! It amazes me how some people(especially Believers) get hung up on what people say and do, or better yet, what they "perceive" to be what people are saying and doing. When this happens, the enemy is given an open invitation to plant seed. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I love coming by here to read TRUTH! I do try to live by the golden rule; and when others don't I try very hard to be "like a duck" and let things roll off my back because most of the time it's my sinful nature that is making a mountain out of a mole hill! Blessings to you! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post! So true and so easy to fall into... Love hte scripture you finished with. I should print that one out...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visits. I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Be blessed!